Seafood Pasta with Prawns and Mussels
Pasta with prawns and mussels is a delicious and elegant pasta dish that is made from simple ingredients. The main flavors come from prawns and mussels. These ingredients form the freshwater give a delicious and mouth-watering oceanic flavor that is very hard to resist.
The best thing about this recipe is that you can customize it according to your liking. You can add different ingredients to create a unique combination of spices and ingredients. Whatever you choose, the two main ingredients, i.e., prawns and mussels, will always shine through.
How to clean mussels?
When using mussels, you have to pay great detail to clean them. It is crucial as they are usually covered in weeds, sand, etc. so, if you are buying fresh mussels, you will have to take some time to clean them to enjoy their natural flavor without any dirt or debris intervention.
The best way to clean them is by placing them in a colander and running cold water over them. You might need to scrub their shells to get rid of weed and dirt stick to them. Also, if you and any hairy stuff on the shell, pull it off as well.
Pasta with prawns and mussels is a clean and simple dish with simple ingredients. All the ingredients are readily available at every grocery store. Here is what you will need for this elegant dish:
- Prawns: The first main ingredient for this pasta dish is the prawn. It is best if you use fresh prawns for this recipe. However, if you don’t find fresh prawns or don’t have time to de-shell and de-vein them, you can use frozen raw as well. Whatever you choose, make sure you prepare them. Prawns should be free from the vein. Clean them, and leave them as they are, or cut them in half. You can choose any find of prawn. I prefer choosing smaller ones. They are flavorsome and cook up faster than the bigger ones.
- Mussels: Mussels are not just uniquely tasteful but are very easy to find as well. You can find them in the seafood section of any grocery store. Look for fresh mussels because they offer maximum flavor. There are so many different types of mussels available. You can choose any type you are familiar with. I usually prefer freshwater mussels, but you can go for saltwater mussels as well. Make sure you clean the mussels thoroughly before cooking them. Moreover, you can also use frozen mussels for this recipe. Make sure you thaw them completely before cooking them.
- Cherry tomatoes: Cherry tomatoes are small, bite-sized tomatoes that are very tasteful. They are juicy and refreshing. Cherry tomatoes are called so because of two main reasons. The first one is their size. They are so small that they look almost like cherry. Secondly, they are sweeter in flavor. That’s why they are referred to as cherry as well. Adding cherry tomatoes to this pasta dish adds refreshing flavor and a pop of color to the dish as well.
- Pasta: You can choose any pasta shape. I have chosen fusilli, but you can go for spaghetti as well. Moreover, you can choose to make this dish with homemade pasta as well. Whatever suits your mood. Also, you can cook this seafood pasta dish with whole wheat pasta as well. Boil the pasta as per the directions given on its pack until al dente.
- Salt: Adding salt to this dish balances out the flavors. You can use plain table salt or sea salt as well.
- Black pepper: A little black pepper is enough to bring in a peppery flavor to the dish. You can use red chili peppers instead of black pepper as well.
- Oil: You can use any cooking oil for cooking this dish. Olive oil works well as well. It offers healthy fats that are good for your health.
- Garnish: You can garnish this seafood pasta with a variety of ingredients. Use freshly chopped herbs to bring in the aroma. Parsley or dill go very well on this pasta dish. Furthermore, you can also use parmesan cheese. Grate it over the pasta serving and enjoy its robust flavor!
How Do You Make Pasta with Prawns and Mussels
There are so many different ways you can make pasta. Some are very elaborate and require a lot of cooking and preparation time. Whereas the others are very simple and rely on the natural flavors of the ingredients. This pasta dish with prawns and mussels is also a very simple and effortless dish. Apart from the simple ingredients, the cooking is easy and simple too. Here are a few steps you have to follow when making pasta with mussels and prawns:
Step 1: In a large pot, add water, salt and place them on medium heat. Bring it to a boil and add pasta. Let it cook for about 7 to 10 minutes until al Dante. Drain, run cold water over pasta, and set it aside for later use.
Step 2: Prepare the prawns and mussels. If you are using frozen ingredients, defrost them and clean them.
Step 3: In a large frying pan, heat oil. Add prawns and mussels and sauté for about three to5 minutes until they are cooked and flavors are released.
Step 4: Add boiled pasta and mix well.
Step 5: Next, add halved cherry tomatoes and cook for 3 to 5 minutes by stirring constantly.
Step 6: Season with salt and black pepper and stir. Cover the pan with a lid and let it cook for about 2 to 3 more minutes.
Step 7: You have the pasta ready to serve.
Although this pasta recipe is very simple, you can add several ingredients to make it more flavorsome. It all depends upon the flavors you like. Here are a few ideas on what you can add to this simple pasta dish to make it even more tasteful.
- Dry white wine: Dry white wine adds crispiness to the dish. It brings in richness and depth of flavor. Add a dash of dry white wine when cooking prawns and mussels to infuse the flavors together.
- Herbs: Whether you use fresh or dried herbs, they have a prominent flavor and aroma. Herbs like oregano, thyme, basil, rosemary, or tarragon bring in a herbaceous flavor with notes of sweetness and pepperiness to the dish. You can add them to season the dish or use them as a garnish.
- Spinach: Baby spinach is loaded with health benefits. You can add it to the dish to increase its nutrient value and to bring in a fresh color.
- Parmesan: Freshly grated parmesan cheese is among the most widely used toppings for pasta dishes. You can use it to garnish your pasta as well.
- Garlic: Adding minced garlic to the pasta will add a depth of garlicky flavor to the dish.
- Red chili: Freshly chopped red chilies are a perfect ingredient to add heat to the pasta dish.
- Chili oil: Garnish the pasta dish with chili oil. It adds heat and depth to the pasta.
What is The Difference Between Prawns and Shrimps?
If you are not a very big fan of seafood and consume it once in a blue moon, you might be among those who consider prawns and shrimps to be the same thing. Despite the fact that they almost look alike when cooked, both these are quite different things. Here is how prawns and shrimps are different from each other:
- Habitat: The first and foremost thing you need to understand about the two is their habitat. Where prawns like in brackish or freshwater, shrimps are a fruit of saltwater.
- Claws: Despite having ten legs, the two have a different number of claws that separate them from each other. Shrimps have two claws, whereas prawns have three.
- Shape: Because of how their body is divided into segments, the two vary in shape. Shrimps have a very distinct bend due to the overlapping geometry of their body. The body of prawns, however, does have a very prominent sharp bending.
- Size: If you don’t want to go into details, the main thing you should always keep in mind is their size. Prawns are usually larger in size, whereas shrimps are comparatively smaller.
- Flavor: Although both have a prominent seafood flavor and smell, prawns tend to have a slightly sweeter flavor as compared to shrimps.
Enjoy Your Pasta with Prawns and Mussels
What are you waiting for? Try this utterly simple and delicious seafood pasta recipe, and I am sure you will love it. The flavors are simple, clean, and tasteful. Try it with different ingredients to create new and unique flavors. Whether it is a quick lunch or a dinner date, this pasta with prawns and mussel’s recipe will surely win you over.
Seafood Pasta with Prawns and Mussels
- 100 g Prawns
- 100 g Mussels
- 70 g Pasta
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 15 ml Frying oil
- 50 g Cherry tomatoes
- Put fusilli pasta (or any other, not very fine) in salted boiling water and cook for 7-10 minutes, until al dente.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Defrost mussels and shrimps, rinse and peel.
- Pour oil into the pan and heat it up. Fry the shrimp and mussels for 2 minutes. Stir with a spatula.
- Put the boiled pasta to the pan.
- Place cherry tomatoes in the pan. Stir and heat another 3 minutes. Cover the pan with a lid.
- Serve the seafood pasta hot or warm. You can add fresh herbs to the plate.
About the Author
Twigs cafe staff is comprised of editors, writers, food & drink experts, nutritionists, and researchers to create informative and helpful content for health-conscious people.