For a fine-drawn twist in tradition, these scalloped sweet potatoes generally mix one pound of sweet potatoes along with a pound of russets. The outcome is creamy and savoury layers, with a richness of flavours and a touch of sweetness. To cut down the total preparation time, you can utilize a food processor with a paper-thin slice cutter to cut the potatoes.
The following step is to spread the slices in your baking dish along with a sprinkle of thyme, crushed garlic, salt, and pepper as per your taste, and then marinate the mixture into the heavy cream.
This dish ends up being the tastiest when it is all made and baked perfectly. The refreshing aroma of these freshly scalloped potatoes makes it the most awaited dish ever. If your family prefers eating potatoes, then this is going to be their favourite go-to meal.
Scalloped Potato is a cult-classic recipe along with many layers of creamy cheese and potatoes on repeat! To prepare this amazing meal, you only need a few ingredients and are easily available in your house or any grocery store.
This is a perfect appetizer for special occasions like Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, etc.
How Do You Make Scalloped Sweet Potatoes With Parmesan & Thyme?
To make this soft and mouthwatering dish, first, you’ll be heating the oven at 400°F and then you need to slice the potatoes using a slicer. Now add all the ingredients such as cheese, salt, pepper and thyme and soak them into the cream for texture. Bake it nicely to eat.
What Equipment/Tool You Will Need?
- Mandoline: It is required for convenient and uniform slicing.
- Casserole Dish: The 2-quart casserole dish is very vital for all types of baked sides and dishes.
- All-Purpose Measuring Cups: The all-purpose measuring cups are essential for measuring the number of liquids.
The ingredients you’ll need to prepare this dish are as follows:
- Potatoes (Sweet): This is the main ingredient for this dish. Sweet potatoes are a great source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. This is a friendly ingredient for any diet. Besides, potatoes are more satiating, so you can be free of hunger for longer.
- Garlic: This is required to add some extra flavours to your main dish. You can use garlic powder as substitute.
- Dried Thyme Leaves: Dried thyme leaves will elevate this dish’s flavour.
- Black Pepper & Salt: You need to sprinkle these at the top of your dish, once you’re done. Red chili peppers can be used instead of black pepper as well.
- Heavy Cream: The cream is the last and one of the most crucial elements to make your dish rich, creamy and finger-licking good.
How to Prepare
Step 1: Heat the oven to 400°F. Now, slice down the potatoes with the help of a food processor having a thin slicer.
Step 2: In a quarter-sized baking dish, toss the potatoes with crushed garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper. Now, add the cream and press it gently for the potatoes to soak in the cream.
Step 3: Now, you are required to cover the baking dish with butter foil and place it on a baking sheet, and then bake it nicely for 20 to 25 minutes.
Step 4: Now, remove the foil and then bake it until the potatoes turn soft and mushy, and creamy.
Step 5: Let the potatoes bake until the top of the dish is golden brown. Now serve these crispy potato slides, and enjoy a healthy, tasty, and nourishing meal.
- You can use new potatoes or red potatoes but the buttery texture of Yukon gold potatoes is to die for. Remember that russet potatoes would also go well here, but sometimes they might fall apart very easily.
- This cheesy recipe calls for some cheddar cheese too but parmesan would always be better.
- To ensure that the potatoes are prepared thoroughly, slice these potatoes thickly using a mandoline which can make your work a lot easier.
Essential Storage Tips For This Recipe
Keep the cooled and cooked leftovers in a storage container in your fridge for a maximum of 4 days.
You can prepare this recipe and reheat it when you want to eat it. All you’re required to do is nicely reheat the leftovers in a baking dish while covering it with a buttered foil in an oven at 350 degrees F until it is warmed enough.
Now you can keep adding some milk required. You can also choose to reheat it in the microwave oven until it is hot, though it’s recommended to heat it in an oven for the best taste.
Store the dish cooled and cooked in a storage container in the refrigerator for around 3 consecutive months. Let it in the freezer before reheating. Remember that the potatoes become mealy when they are frozen, so freeze them only if it’s necessary.
In case you want to freeze these potatoes, it’s recommended to not cook them thoroughly. The potatoes will hold better into the refrigerator, and then you can finish the final baking procedure when you are prepared to reheat them.
What Can Be Served With This Dish?
- Pork: You can serve a very flavorful dish such as Crock Pot Pork Chops along with scalloped potatoes and this would make a great meal.
- Chicken: You can link this dish with rosemary chicken thighs along with Brussels sprouts and apples or Lemon Butter Chicken for a great dinner.
- Salmon: You can try out this recipe along with some healthy salmon recipes such as salmon meuniere etc.
- More Sides: If you’re planning to serve this dish as a part of a huge food spread, you can include bacon-wrapped asparagus and Sautéed Brussels Sprouts, along with it.
- For Gluten-Free Recipe: Nothing! This dish is extraordinarily gluten-free as stated.
- Scalloped Potatoes And Ham: Nicely layer the finely cooked and sliced ham between the various layers of potatoes.
- Scalloped Potatoes Along with Carrots: Nicely slice the carrots and blend them with potato slices.
Scalloped Potatoes is by far one of the best healthy yet yummy recipes that you’ll ever taste. Make sure to share this recipe with your friends and family too. Also, remember that you can always add up the ingredients according to the number of people who are going to eat the dish. Try this recipe and let us know how you liked this recipe in the comments section below. We hope you liked everything mentioned above.
Scalloped Sweet Potatoes with Parmesan & Thyme
- 1 Potatoes
- 1 Sweet potatoes
- 50 g Parmesan
- Salt to taste
- 60 ml Milk
- 1/3 tsp Dried thyme
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- Potatoes and sweet potatoes don’t need to be peeled. You just need to thoroughly wash the vegetables using a hard kitchen sponge. Then cut the vegetables into thin slices.
- Now the potato slices need to be salted and mixed with grated Parmesan.
- Grease a baking dish with oil. Arrange the potato and sweet potato slices in several layers. If Parmesan is left, you can pour it on top. You should also sprinkle the vegetables with dried or fresh thyme. Pour milk into the mold and place in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes at 170 degrees. Then check – if the potatoes are very dry on top, cover the dish with foil or a lid, bake for another 20 minutes.
- Serve hot potatoes. The top pieces will be a little crunchy, while the pieces that were on the bottom of the mold will be very soft and tasty. Additionally, when serving, you can use creamy or garlic sauce, fresh herbs.