Pork stew with tomatoes is a rich, tasteful, flavorsome, and comforting stew that is made with boneless pork pieces, tomatoes, and spices. You get richness and tanginess from tomatoes and flavors from spices like Italian herbs, red chilies, bay leaf, etc.
This pork stew is super easy to make, thanks to the multicooker. You can make it in no more than 60 minutes. The best thing about it is that you can store this stew for later use. It pairs up really well with rice or pasta. You can enjoy it without any dish or serve it alongside aside to get a wholesome and tasteful dinner. Whether it is a family gathering or a date night, try this recipe for your loved ones, and I am sure they will love it!
pork stew with tomatoes is rich, meaty, and hearty. Moreover, it is highly flavorsome. The flavors come from a smart choice of ingredients. The best thing about this stew is that it is very simple in terms of ingredients. You don’t need fancy or over-the-top ingredients. The spices used are also readily available in every kitchen pantry. Here is everything you will need for this delicious stew:
- Pork: The hero of this stew and the main protein is pork. You can go for any meat cut as long as it is boneless. Choose whatever cut you like. Wash the meat, pat it dry and trim any excess fat. Cut the piece into equal pieces to ensure equal cooking.
- Onion: Onions set the base for the stew. It adds a savory flavor to it. You can add either white or red onions. Whatever is available will work.
- Carrot: Carrot is often a part of stews because of the flavor and health benefits they offer. Moreover, it also adds color to the stew. Adding vegetables to this stew is a good way to add vegetables to your diet. Especially for kids who don’t like to eat vegetables, you can feed them vegetables by adding them to the stew, and they won’t even know it.
- Tomatoes: The next main ingredient for this rich stew is tomatoes. You can use fresh tomatoes or canned whole tomatoes for this recipe. If you are using fresh tomatoes, blanch them so that you can peel the skin off them easily. Then blend them in a blender or using a hand blender to get a puree. If you are using canned tomatoes, blend them with the sauce. Make sure the tomatoes are skinless.
- Paprika: Paprika adds a smoky and slightly sweet and hot flavor to the stew. You can add cayenne pepper if you like more heat as well.
- Chili powder: Red chili powder adds heat to the stew. You can use red chili flakes as well.
- Black pepper: Black pepper powder adds pepperiness to the stew. You can adjust its quantity as per your taste.
- Italian seasoning: Italian seasoning is made from dried Italian herbs like thyme, rosemary, basil, oregano, tarragon, etc. you can easily find Italian seasoning from any grocery store. It adds flavor and aroma to the stew.
- Garlic powder: Garlic powder adds a depth of garlicky flavor to the stew. It brings in a savory flavor.
- Bay leaf: Bay leaves bring aroma and warmth to the stew. It adds a minty and peppery flavor to the stew.
- Oil: You can use olive oil, coconut oil, or any cooking oil for this stew.
- Salt: Salt balances out the flavors of the stew.
How to make pork stew with tomatoes?
Making pork stew with tomatoes is very easy. The best thing about it is that it is a one-pan dish. You can make it quickly if you are using a multicooker. Here are simple steps you have to follow o get rich and quick results.
Step 1: Start by preparing the meat. Wash the pieces, pat them dry and remove excess fat by trimming it with a sharp knife. Cut the meat into small equal pieces.
Step 2: Start the multicooker by selecting state or fry mode. Add oil. Once the oil is hot, add chopped onions and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes or until they are translucent and tender.
Step 3: Next, add meat pieces and cook for about 5 minutes until the pieces start to change color.
Step 4: Add chopped or sliced carrots and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes.
Step 5: Add paprika, garlic powder, black pepper powder, red chili powder, Italian seasoning, bay leaves, and salt. Mix well.
Step 6: Add blended tomatoes and mix well. Seal the lid and select stew mode to cook the meat for about 40 minutes. You can add a dash of beef stock if you want the stew to have a runny consistency.
Step 7: Once the time is up, wait for 5 minutes and then take off the lid. Stir the stew and discard bay leaves.
Step 8: Serve.
Can you cook pork stew with tomatoes in a slow cooker?
Yes! You can definitely cook pork stew with tomatoes in a slow cooker. The main aim of a slow cooker is to cook the meat at low heat. As a result, you can extract maximum flavors from it. Pork stew, when cooked on low heat for about 4 to 6 hours, results in rich, highly tasteful, stew and the meat is so tender that it almost falls apart of melts in your mouth.
If you are making this stew in large batches to feed a large crowd. Slow cooking seems like a better option. Add beef stock and let it simmer on low heat for about 4 to 6 hours.
Pork stew with tomatoes is a very simple dish made with a few ingredients. However, you can add more ingredients to bring a complexity of flavors. Here are a few ideas on what ingredients you can add to this stew to enhance its flavor profile:
- Garlic: Garlic adds so much flavor and depth to the stew. You can add minced garlic to enjoy a fresh garlicky flavor.
- Stock: To adjust the consistency of the stew, add beef or chicken stock instead of water. You can also add bouillons as well.
- Celery: Celery has a bold and refreshing flavor. You can add chopped celery stalk to the stew along with carrots to get more flavor.
- Potatoes: To bring in more texture and richness, add diced potatoes to this stew. You can use russet potatoes for this purpose.
- Fresh herb sprigs: Adding fresh sprigs of herbs like thyme, rosemary, and oregano to bring in freshness and aroma.
- Red wine: adding dry red or white wine to this stew just before adding tomatoes will bring so much flavor. Add about ¼ cup, and it will add richness to the stew.
- Heavy cream: If you like stews that are creamy as well, try adding heavy cream to this stew. It will add richness, creaminess and will enhance the flavors. You can also top the stew with dollops of heavy cream just before serving.
What to serve pork stew with tomatoes with?
Thanks to the rich, meaty flavors of this stew, you can enjoy it without any dish. It is delicious and very enjoyable on its own. However, you can add more textures and flavors by serving it with a side of your choice. Here are a few ideas you might like to try:
- Rice: You can serve this pork stew with garlic rice, jasmine rice, or brown rice. Serving rice with it makes it a complete meal.
- Pasta: Whether you are using egg noodles or homemade Italian pasta, the richness of this stew is a perfect blend with pasta.
- Flatbread: Serve it with flatbread to make it more wholesome.
- Garlic bread: You can serve it with delicious garlic bread. The crispiness of the bread and richness of the stew is a match made in heaven.
- Roasted vegetables: Add tons of flavors and textures to this stew by serving it with oven-roasted vegetables. It adds flavor and aroma.
How to store pork stew with tomatoes?
You can store the leftover pork stew by placing it in an air-tight container and storing it in the refrigerator. It will last for up to 3 days. You can reheat it on the stovetop, adjust the consistency and reuse it.
Furthermore, you can also freeze this pork stew. Once it is cool, place it in a freezer-safe container and freeze. It will last for up to a month. You can reheat it on the stovetop directly without thawing it. Adjust the flavors and enjoy!
Enjoy your pork stew
Pork stew with tomatoes is a rich, tomatoey stew that offers a depth of flavors. It is a perfect stew you can enjoy with your family and friends during the holidays. Whether it is a Sunday dinner or a date night, you can serve this rich stew with rice, noodles, or bread. It is a perfect dish to bring the family together and add a smile to your face.
Pork Stew with Tomatoes
- 400 g Pork
- 1 Onions
- 1 Carrots
- 300 g Whole tomatoes in their own juice or chopped
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Spices
- 15 ml Frying oil
- 2 Bay leaf
- Wash the pork meat. If there is excess fat, it needs to be cut. Then the meat needs to be cut into small pieces.
- Peel and chop the carrots. The onions also need to be peeled and finely chopped.
- Next, you need to open a jar with whole or chopped tomatoes in a tomato.
- Using a blender, you need to grind the tomatoes to a uniform consistency.
- Pour oil into the multicooker bowl, put vegetables, meat and cook on the Fry option.
- After 7 minutes, add salt and spices.
- Then you need to pour the tomato sauce into the bowl and stir everything. Close the lid of the multicooker and stew the meat, setting the Stew mode for 40 minutes.
- The cooked stew can be served with a side dish such as rice or pasta.