Pancakes With Starch and Brown Sugar
Pancakes With Starch and Brown Sugar are sweet, fluffy, tasty and quick to make. These are made with simple ingredients. The batter is a starch base and uses brown sugar as a sweetening agent. It is very easy to make and offers flavour. Top the pancake up with your favourite topping to enjoy it as a perfect breakfast with a cup of hot coffee.
What is a pancake?
A pancake is a flat cake that is made with a special starch-based batter. The batter contains eggs, milk and sugar as essential ingredients. The batter is poured on a hot pan with oil and is cooked on both sides until it gets a nice golden colour. Although pancakes are traditionally made sweet, there are several ways you can make them savoury as well. The most popular toppings to go with pancakes include whipped cream, maple syrup and fresh berries. Pancakes are best enjoyed in the morning for breakfast. You can eat them any time of the day.
Why should you make pancakes with starch and brown sugar?
Well, there are so many reasons you need to try this amazing recipe. Here are a few:
- It is easy and quick.
- It offers fluffy and thick pancakes.
- It results in delicious and rich textured pancakes.
- You can easily store the batter for later use or make it in advance.
Making pancakes is the easiest thing you can do. There are so many pancake recipes, but this one is very easy. That’s because it uses ingredients that specifically ensure fluffy and soft pancakes. Here is everything you will need for these pancakes.
- Wheat flour: Wheat flour is easily available at any grocery store. It is made by grinding wheat. Wheat flour is made from all three components like bran, endosperm and germ. As a result, it is jam-packed with more nutrients and provides energy. Despite all the benefits, wheat contains gluten. Although gluten is not said to have many benefits, some people are allergic t gluten. For those, flour can prove to be dangerous. So, if you are allergic to gluten as well, you should choose any gluten-free flour instead of wheat. Apart from this, wheat flour has several health benefits.
- Starch: Starch is a white powder that has no flavour. When you add it to pancake, you are actually adding more body to it. Most people like to use it in place of baking powder as it helps in making the pancakes fluffy. You can use either corn starch or potato starch for this recipe. Tapioca starch also works very well.
- Milk: Milk is another important ingredient in pancakes. It helps in creating a base for the batter. You can adjust the consistency of the pancakes by adding more or less milk. Make sure you use whole fat milk as it will give the body of the pancake and will make them tasty and fluffy. Also, make sure the milk is at room temperature before adding it to the ingredients.
- Egg: Eggs also help to make the pancakes fluffy. You can add one whole to the pancake batter. Make sure the egg is at room temperature.
- Brown sugar: To bring in sweetness, I use brown sugar. Most people like to use white sugar as well. It is a personal preference. You can use whatever is available to you. However, brown sugar brings in a beautiful brown colour and adds natural sweetness to the pancakes.
- Salt: Adding a pinch of salt helps in enhancing the flavours f the ingredients.
- Olive oil: You will need oil for frying as well as for making the pancakes batter as well. You can use any cooking oil. However, I prefer you use olive oil. That’s because olive oil contains healthy fats that are beneficial for us.
How to make pancakes with starch and brown sugar?
Making pancakes with starch and brown sugar are very easy. Here is a step-by-step guide for you to understand the preparation process:
Step 1: In a large bowl, crack eggs and add about one-third of the wheat flour.
Step 2: Using a whisker, mix well until the two ingredients are well combined.
Step 3: Pour half of the milk and add half of the remaining flour. Mix well until the mixture is smooth.
Step 4: Add the remaining wheat flour and starch. Continue to whisk until the mixture is smooth.
Step 5: Next, add brown sugar, salt and olive oil. Mix well until the sugar is dissolved.
Step 6: Pour in the remaining milk and whisk.
Step 7: Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or aluminium foil and let it sit for about 15 minutes. You can also place it in the refrigerator.
Step 8: Place a non-stick frying pan on medium heat. Add a dash of oil and spread it all over the pan.
Step 9: Once the oil is hot, ladle the pancake batter and pour it onto the pan. Spread it all across the frying pan.
Step 10: Let it cook for a minute or two until you see small bubbles. Flip the pancake to cook it on the other side for a minute as well.
Step 11: Take it out on a serving plate and repeat the process. Serve alongside your favourite condiments.
Tips for making perfectly fluffy pancakes
Everyone dream that their pancakes are soft and fluffy. As much as fluffy pancakes taste great, many struggles to get them. So, if you are also facing a problem regarding the fluffiness of your pancakes, don’t get sad! Here are simple yet effective tips that will help in perfectly fluffy and soft pancakes:
- To ensure the texture of your pancake batter is on spot, make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature.
- Another amazing trick to get the fluffiest pancakes is by separating the egg yolk from the egg white. Beat the egg white separately and fold in the pancake batter gently in the end. This is an amazing trick if you crave extra fluffy and thick pancakes.
- You can also add melted unsalted butter instead of olive oil. Butter helps in creating a soft and smooth batter and will give you a buttery flavour and texture.
- Add a pinch of baking soda. Baking soda is known to trap air in the pancakes as you cook the batter. As a result, you will get fluffy and giggly pancakes.
- The varied fact that we are using wheat flour which has gluten, is a ticket to fluffy pancakes. When you add a wet ingredient to gluten flour, it reacts and expands. As a result, it traps in the air making the pancakes fluffy as you cook them. Note that if you are using gluten-free flour, you might have to struggle a bit with the fluffiness of the pancakes.
- Lastly, resting the batter also helps in allowing the ingredients to react with each other. As a result, you get soft and fluffy pancakes.
What to Serve Pancakes with?
When serving pancakes, there is so much you can do. They go well with almost anything. It is all about being creative. Here are a few ideas on what to serve with pancakes:
- Sour cream: Sour cream is rich, slightly sour and has a perfect side with pancakes. You can also use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
- Jam: You can use store-bought or homemade hams, marmalades or compotes with pancakes. It elevates the sweetness and is perfect for those who have a huge sweet tooth.
- Berries/fruits: Nothing can beat fresh berries or fruits. Top the pancakes up with fresh blueberries, banana slices, etc., to enjoy a complete breakfast meal.
- Whipped cream: Whipped cream of pancakes in a classic topping that is just divine. You can never skip this option.
- Maple syrup/chocolate syrup: Another classic topping on pancakes is maple syrup or chocolate syrup. It is perfect for lifting up your mood and spirits on a dull and lazy day.
How to Store Pancakes?
You can happily store the pancake batter in the refrigerator, place it in an air-tight container and refrigerate. It will last for up to 5 days. Furthermore, you can also store cooked pancakes. They will last for up to 3 days. However, you might lose their fluffiness, and they might get soggy.
Furthermore, you can also freeze cooked pancakes. They will last in the freezer for up to 3 months. Flash freezes them by placing them on a baking tray. Make sure they don’t overlap. Once they start to freeze, place them in a container. Also, place a baking sheet in the middle of every two pancakes when stacking them. This will stop them from sticking to each other. Reheat them without thawing.
Enjoy Your Pancakes
pancakes with starch and brown sugar are fluffy, thick, tasteful and a perfect way to start your morning. Top them up with your favourite ingredients to enjoy the flavours to the fullest. Do try this recipe at home, and I am sure you and your loved ones will love it!
Pancakes with Starch and Brown Sugar
- 60 g Wheat flour
- 2 Egg
- 15 g Starch
- 25 g Brown sugar
- 1 pinch Salt
- 250 ml Milk
- 15 ml Olive oil
- 10 ml Frying oil
- Break the eggs into a deep bowl and add a third part of the flour.
- Stir with a whisk and add another third part flour, half milk. Stir until smooth.
- Add remaining flour and starch. Continue stirring until smooth.
- Add brown sugar and salt.
- Add olive oil or any other unscented oil. You can add unsalted butter, melted unsalted butter.
- Pour in the remaining milk and stir. Cover the bowl with film and wait 15 minutes.
- Pour the cooking oil into the pan. Pour a little pancake dough into a pan and fry with low heat.
- After 2 minutes, turn the pancake over and cook for another 1 minute.
- Serve ready-made pancakes right away while they are warm. To make it tastier, serve sour cream, jam, berries or whipped cream with the pancakes.
About the Author
Twigs cafe staff is comprised of editors, writers, food & drink experts, nutritionists, and researchers to create informative and helpful content for health-conscious people.