Are you looking for some crispy starters or snacking options, here we present the recipe for the easiest crispy onion rings. Oven-baked onion rings are an American cuisine appetizer. They generally contain big onion rounds, dipped in batter and plunged in crumbs of toasted bread, and are deep-fried.
These can be well served as a side dish, or as an evening snack. They are not very fulfilling for your hunger but a great light-snacking option. These are delicious crunchy snacks that can be served with chips or salted peanuts. In this article, full-fledged information about the recipe of oven-baked onion rings has been provided.
How To Make Onion Rings?
With the spices, egg, and milk, a thick batter is prepared to coat these rings and then coated with breadcrumbs for an extra crispy texture. If you want a spicy snack, you can add chili powder to the preparation.
The equipment that is required to follow the preparation of oven-baked Onion rings is given below.
- Measuring Spoon
- Knife set
- Condiment bowl
Onion – 3 pcs: Onion is the main ingredient in onion rings. You should always choose big and round onions, to have perfect circular rings.
Wheat flour – 3 tbsp: Wheat flour is used to marinate the onion rings, this will add crunchiness to the onion rings, and will also coat the species properly.
Salt to taste: Salt adds an important value to the whole preparation. You can salt as per your preference.
Spices to taste: Spices such as chili powder can be very helpful to enhance the taste. Moreover, the essential spices can be used according to your choice.
Breadcrumbs – 4 tbsp: The marinated rings are coated with the bread crumbs before placing them on the baking paper to make these rings more crispy.
Egg – One-piece: An egg is added to the batter to make it sticky and ensures a thick coat of marination.
Milk – 2 tbsp: The milk will add a thick consistency in the matter, which will make the spices coat easily, and also this gives a gold-brown color to the crispy rings.
This is a quick recipe, and these crispy rings are ready to serve in just 10 minutes. These are healthy and crispy snacks with 150 Calories per 100 gm.
Step 1. Peel the onions, and then cut them into rings. Try to cut big round rings to achieve a thick coating and crispy texture.
Step 2. Pour wheat flour, salt, and spices into a plastic bag and stir. Then you need to put onion rings in a bag, tie the edges and shake well a couple of times. Each onion ring will be covered with flour.
Step 3. Now take a bowl, and dip an egg into a bowl and add milk, stir with a fork. Place onion rings in the bowl.
Step 4. Pour breadcrumbs into another bowl and spread the onion rings on these crumbs. Using your hands or a spatula coat the rings completely with the bread crumbs.
Step 5. Place a baking sheet with baking paper. Draw the rings on the paper. Bake for 10 minutes at 180 degrees.
Step 6. Let these rings cool a bit, and crispy, then serve them with tomato ketchup, cheese-garlic dip, or a mustard sauce. Don’t forget to sprinkle some finely chopped parsley for garnishing.
Though this delicious appetizer is simple to make, it is sometimes difficult to get them perfectly crispy in a homemade recipe. The following tips will ensure that your onion rings will be perfectly crispy for all times.
- You should soak the Onion slices in cold water before marinating them. This process helps to dilute the sulfur to make them sweet and mild.
- To maintain the crispy nature, you can double dip the rings in any seasonal flour or buttermilk.
- After peeling and slicing the onion rings into rounds, pour them into milk or buttermilk with a few Inches. Then let them soak. This process will help to increase the softness of online rings.
- For the best preparation of baked Onion rings, you have to be very selective regarding onions. White and yellow onions are best for preparing Onion rings. But if you prefer sweet Onions, you can go for Vidalia, Maui, Walla Walla Onion. These onions are available only in summer and fall.
You can follow these useful tips during the preparation of oven-baked onion rings.
To store: These crispy rings can be stored for 2-3 days in your refrigerator. But make sure to seal it up in an air-tight container or a plastic bag.
To freeze: Onion rings are a handy snack, so freezing them is a great option. You can freeze them for 3-4 weeks, but make sure to properly defrost them before placing them in the oven.
To reheat: Onion rings can be reheated by different kinds of frying procedures such as deep fry or shallow fry. But heating in the oven is the easiest process to opt for. Reheating them properly will bring back the crispy texture and freshness to the rings.
Onion rings are delicious as a starter dish but you can also add them to hamburgers, hot dogs, or more. In this phase, we will discuss some other dishes that can be prepared with Onion rings.
- Sandwiches: These onion rings can be added to the sandwiches, and will give a crunchy chew to every bite.
- With Fried Seafood: These crispy rounds very well complement fried seafood. When served as a starter, people also like to have it with salmon, shrimp, and tilapia.
- Scrambled Eggs with Onion Rings: Keep this combo on your list when planning a healthy yet tasty breakfast. Soft and mushy scrambled eggs are well complemented with the crispy onion rings.
- Deep-fry Onion Rings: If you are bored of baking, let’s try frying. These onion rings are crispy when fried in hot oil. This deep-frying procedure might add some calories to your meal, but it will highly satisfy your taste buds.
- Onion Rings For Vegetarians: For our vegetarian audience, we have a variation to this recipe. So if the egg is not a part of your ingredients, you can replace it with some cornflour. It provides the same stickiness in your batter and gives a crispy texture to the rings.
22nd June is celebrated as National Onion ring day. This day is dedicated to acknowledging these delicious batter-dipped Onion rings. There is so much speculation about the origin of Onion rings. Canada, Australia, Ireland, and some parts of Asia are depicted as the origin of Onion rings.
Oven-baked onion rings
- 3 Onion
- 3 tbsp Wheat flour
- 1 Chicken egg
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 4 tbsp Breadcrumbs
- Salt to taste
- Spices to taste
- Peel the onion, then cut into rings. Leave only the rings with the largest diameter and the next largest.
- Pour wheat flour, salt and spices into a plastic bag and stir. Then you need to put onion rings in a bag, tie the edges and shake well a couple of times. Each onion ring will be covered with flour.
- Drive a chicken egg into a bowl and add milk, stir with a fork. Place onion rings in a bowl.
- Pour breadcrumbs into another bowl and put rings there. Crackers should completely stick around the onion rings.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper. Lay out the rings on the paper. Bake for 10 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Ready-made rings should be served hot or warm. It turns out very tasty with tomato, cheese or garlic sauce. You can sprinkle the rings with chopped herbs.