Grilled chicken steak in mayo is a delicious, smoky, hearty, comforting, and mouth-watering steak recipe that is very easy to make. Marinated with mayonnaise, onion, and spices, this recipe offers tender and juicy chicken with rich flavors. You can almost taste the creaminess of the mayonnaise in the chicken steak. Serve this steak with your favorite sides to enjoy a wholesome and fulfilling dish.
What You Will Need?
This grilled chicken recipe is very simple. You won’t need over-the-top or expensive ingredients. All the ingredients are easy to find and affordable. Here is everything you need to know about the ingredients needed for this tasty recipe:
- Chicken: The main ingredient of this dish is chicken. Go for boneless and skinless chicken. The best meat for the steaks is that of breasts. Cut the breasts in half and pound them. The leaner the meat is, the quicker it will cook. Those who like beef meat can switch chicken with beef as well. However, keep in mind that the cooking time and marination time will vary too. If you love pork, then you can also try out this Tender and Juicy Pork Steak recipe.
- Large onion: Adding an onion will bring a savory flavor to the steak. You can either use white or red onions for this recipe. I prefer white onions, though. Slice the onions and add them along with other ingredients. Furthermore, you can also chop them into fine pieces or dice them. Whatever is convenient for you. If you don’t have onions available, you can also add onion powder. It offers the same flavor as the marinate.
- Mayonnaise: The main ingredient for the marinade is the mayonnaise. Most people consider it to be a strange ingredient for the marinade. But the truth is that mayonnaise is rich, creamy, and offers a depth of flavor. You can use full fat or light mayonnaise. Plus, you can also go for flavored mayonnaise as well. Also, if you like to make mayonnaise at home, you can use homemade mayonnaise as well. Whatever you choose, make sure the mayonnaise is fresh and hasn’t gone bad.
- Paprika: Paprika powder is made from a special type of chilis. It is slightly sweet and mild hot in flavor. However, the level of spiciness depends upon the type of paprika you are using. For instance, some Hungarian paprikas are very hot, whereas Spanish paprikas have a smoky flavor. You can choose any type according to your liking. If you are not using paprika powder, go for cayenne powder. It also offers the same or more spiciness to the marinade.
- Garlic powder: Garlic powder adds savory and depth of flavor to the marinade. If you don’t have garlic powder, go for freshly minced garlic cloves. The garlicky flavor gives the marinade a new dimension.
- Black pepper: Freshly ground black pepper adds pepperiness to the marinade. It elevates the flavors of the steak.
- Salt: You can add sea salt, kosher salt, or table salt to the marinade. It balances out the flavors.
- Olive oil: You will need olive oil to cook the steaks. You can use any vegetable oil for this purpose. Cooking spray is also a good option.
How to Make Grilled Chicken Steak in Mayo?
Making Grilled chicken steak in mayo is pretty straightforward and effortless. All you have to do is marinate the chicken and grill it. Here are simple steps you can follow for perfect results.
Step 1 – Start by preparing the boneless chicken breasts. Wash the chicken fillet, and pat them dry using a kitchen towel. Remove any excess cartilage or fat you see.
Step 2 – Next, cut the fillets into thin steaks. You can also cut them into thicker steaks and pound them. Pounding helps the fillets to soak up the marinade. However, it is no necessary step. You can just cut the chicken into thin slices, and that’s all.
Step 3 – In a large bowl, add mayonnaise, sliced or chopped onions, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, and salt. Mix well.
Step 4 – Add the chicken fillets to the bowl and, using your hands, mix well so that the chicken is drenched in the mayonnaise mixture.
Step 5 – Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator to marinate for about an hour or two. Note that the more you marinate, the more flavor chicken will get.
Step 6 – Once the chicken is ready to cook, take it out of the refrigerator and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes until it reaches room temperature.
Step 7 – Meanwhile, prepare the grill. You can grill the chicken in an outdoor grill or indoor grill. Whatever is available to you will work.
Step 8 – Once the griller is hot, drizzle olive oil and place the chicken steaks on it. Let it cook on one side for about 5 to 7 minutes. Flip once you get a nice golden color on one side. Let it grill on the other side as well.
Step 9 – Serve hot with your choice of sides. Enjoy!
Can You Make Mayonnaise at Home?
Yes, you can definitely make mayonnaise at home! Making mayonnaise is very easy. You need an egg, lemon juice, oil, white wine vinegar, and salt. Add all the ingredients except for oil on a blender jug. You can also use a hand emulsifier for this purpose.
Add oil at the end and start blending until all the ingredients are completely combined together, and you get a thick, creamy consistency. You can get mayonnaise ready in no more than 5 minutes. It is by far the best and easiest recipe you can ever try!
The best thing about the mayo marinade is that you can add more spices and sauces to elevate the flavors. Here are a few ideas you can try:
- BBQ sauce: BBQ sauce is rich, tasteful, and has a perfect blend of flavors. It has a sweet, smoky flavor that brings a BBQ feel to the dish.
- Jerk seasoning: Jerk seasoning is a delicious dry spice rub that is made from aromatic spices and seasonings. It is a very popular spice mix in Caribbean cuisine. Jerk seasoning is made from cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, scallions, thyme, brown sugar, garlic, salt, and ginger.
- Herbs: Dried herbs are not just aromatic but also bring in a herbaceous flavor. You can add herbs like dried oregano, thyme, rosemary, and tarragon and turn the chicken steak into a delicious Italian-inspired dish.
What to Serve with Grilled Chicken Steak in Mayo?
There are so many things you can serve with this delicious grilled chicken steak in mayo. Here are a few ideas for you to try:
- Mashed potatoes: Creamy, smooth, and rich mashed potatoes go so well with almost everything. Whether you serve traditional mashed potatoes or red mashed potatoes with skin, they are a perfect side with this tasteful grilled chicken steak dish.
- Vegetables: Vegetables like carrots, asparagus, broccoli, onions, beans, and Brussels sprouts are a perfect way to attain balance in your diet. Whether you oven roast them or saute them, they accompany chicken steak perfectly well.
- Hummus: Hummus is made from tahini and chickpeas. It is creamy, smooth, and offers a depth of flavor. Try this middle easter dip with chicken steak. I am sure you will enjoy the combination.
- Salad: Salads are refreshing, healthy, and go very well with steaks. There are hundreds of different salad recipes you can try. Whether it is fresh garden salad, Caesar salad, or creamy potato salad, it brings flavor and freshness o the plate.
- Gravy: A rich and delicious gravy is all you need with grilled chicken steak in mayo. You can make it from chicken or beef stock.
- Caramelized onions: The sweet and slightly bitter flavor of caramelized onions is divine. It is an epic combination of steaks.
- Flatbread: Flatbread or garlic bread is an essential side of any main course, and the same goes for this chicken steak dish.
Can You Store Grilled Chicken Steak in Mayo?
Yes, you can definitely store grilled chicken steak in mayo. Place the leftover steak in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator. It will last for up to 3 days. Furthermore, you can also freeze the grilled chicken steak in mayo. Place it in a plastic zip-lock bag, and it will last for up to a month in the freezer.
Enjoy Your Steak
grilled chicken steak in mayo is delicious, smoky, flavorsome, and comforting. It is a perfect dish for summer BBQs and date nights. Serve it alongside your favorite side to increase the flavors by many folds. Try this easy recipe at home, and I am sure it will become your new favorite recipe in no time!
Grilled chicken steak in mayo
- 500 g Chicken fillet
- 1 Large onion
- 45 ml Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Spices
- Chicken fillet must be washed and excess liquid removed with napkins. You also need to remove excess fat and cartilage.
- Now cut the fillets into thin steaks.
- Place half of the chicken steaks in a deep bowl. Add salt and spices (whatever). Peel the onion and cut into small pieces. Put half the onion in a bowl.
- Spread mayonnaise on meat and onions.
- Place the rest of the steaks in the bowl. Add salt, spices, onion and mayonnaise. Cover the bowl with film and refrigerate for an hour.
- Grill the steaks for 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve hot with fresh vegetables and sauce.