Greek chicken salad with fresh vegetables and feta cheese is a delicious, refreshing, healthy, and filling salad. It offers a perfect blend of textures with the crunch of fresh vegetables, nutrients from leafy green vegetables, the juiciness of the chicken, and soft feta cheese.
This salad is particularly a perfect dish for summer lunch. Serve it as the main course aside, and the salad is super easy to make and is very convenient.
What is a Greek salad?
Just as the name indicates, a Greek salad is a very popular salad dish that has its origins in Greek cuisine. Traditionally it uses, ingredients like cucumber, tomatoes, olives, onions, and feta cheese. The salad s typically seasoned with salt, black pepper, olive oil, and oregano. It is most commonly consumed as a breakfast or lunch. The main highlight of this salad is its refreshing flavor, vibrant color, and healthy nutrients.
The best thing about a Greek salad is that you can add different fresh vegetables and even meat to bring in more flavors. You can customize it according to your tastes and create something new and exciting.
Is Greek chicken salad healthy?
Yes, Greek chicken salad is very healthy. It is a low-calorie salad that is made with fresh ingredients like vegetables. Fresh vegetables are known for their many health benefits and nutrients. Because all the ingredients in this salad are fresh, it makes this salad very nutrient-rich.
The salad offers protein and vitamins mine vitamin A and C. Plus, and you also get iron, potassium, and antioxidants that ensure maximum health benefits. You can customize the salad according to your diet plan or needs to add more nutrients to it. Whatever ingredients you choose, the salad is going to be tasteful and healthy at the same time.
How to make Greek Chicken Salad with Vegetables and Feta Cheese?
Making Greek chicken salad with vegetables and feta cheese is super easy. Here are a few steps you have to follow:
Step 1: Start by boiling and dicing the chicken. Next, you have to cut all the vegetables. Make sure the vegetables are fresh for maximum flavors and health benefits.
Step 2: In a salad bowl, add chopped leafy vegetables like iceberg lettuce and arugula.
Step 3: Next, add chopped tomatoes and cucumber.
Step 4: Add feta cheese and chicken cubes.
Step 5: Season with salt, oregano, thyme, rosemary, and black pepper.
Step 6: Lastly, drizzle olive oil on top and toss the ingredients so that the seasonings are mixed well.
Serve 7: Serve immediately.
Different ways of preparing chicken
There are so many different ways you can prepare chicken for this salad. Here are a few ideas:
- Boiled: Boiled chicken is the simplest and easiest way you can enjoy chicken. It adds a simple and clean flavor to the salad.
- Marinated: Another amazing way to bring in more flavors to the salad and make it a complete meal is by marinating the chicken. There are so many ways you can do so. You can follow any marinate recipe, and the results will be perfect. One of the easiest marinate is cutting the chicken into cubes and adding dried herbs, olive oil, garlic powder, and salt. Cook the chicken on the stovetop and enjoy.
- Roasted: Another way to cook chicken for Greek salad is by marinating the whole fillet and roasting it in the oven. It brings in so much flavor.
- Leftover: If you have any leftover chicken lying around in your refrigerator, the best way to use it up is by adding it to Greek salad. You can add leftover chicken steak or chicken roast from holiday dinner and turn it into a delicious and refreshing salad.
Greek salad is very versatile. There are so many ingredients you can add to it. Here are a few ideas you can try:
- Turkey: Although almost everyone loves chicken, there are some who prefer leaner meat. So, for those who won’t want to add chicken to the Greek salad for whatever reasons, add turkey instead. You can boil boneless turkey fillet or even use the left-over meat from the turkey roast. Whatever suits you, the turkey goes very well with Greek salad.
- Spinach: You can add any leafy vegetable to the Greek salad. Where iceberg lettuce and arugula taste really well, you can also add baby spinach for more health and nutrients.
- Onions: Onions are known for adding savory flavor and crunch to the salad. You can use either white or red onions for this purpose. Soak them in vinegar for about 5 minutes for that extra punch of acidity.
- Jalapeno: Pickled jalapenos taste so good; they bring in acidity, and heat which makes any dish interesting. Add chopped jalapenos to the salad to enjoy the punch of flavors.
- Olives: Olives have a unique and distinct flavor. You can add either green or black olives and enjoy.
- Cherry tomatoes: You can also add cherry tomatoes instead of regular tomatoes. Cherry tomatoes are easy to use and add so much color to the dish.
- Avocado: Another amazing ingredient you can add to the green salad is avocados. It is creamy and adds so many nutrients to the salad.
- Tofu: For those who look for a vegan-friendly ingredient, you can add tofu instead of chicken. It is a perfect ingredient for those who want a non-dairy and vegan salad.
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice brings in acidity and tanginess to the salad. You can make a vinaigrette by mixing lemon juice with olive oil and adding spices to it.
- Paprika: For more heat and smokiness, you can also use paprika.
- Red wine vinegar: Red wine vinegar is another ingredient that goes well in the salad dressing.
Can you store Greek Chicken Salad with Vegetables and Feta Cheese?
Yes, you can store Greek chicken salad. Place it in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator. It will last for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. However, if you are making it in advance, and using a vinaigrette, add it just before you plan on eating it. This way, the salad will stay fresh, and none of the ingredients will go bad.
How to serve Greek Chicken Salad with Vegetables and Feta Cheese?
You can eat Greek chicken salad as a main course or serve it as an aside. Either way, it is a refreshing and delicious addition to your lunch or dinner table. Here are a few dishes that pair very well with Greek salad:
- Roast: Whether it is chicken roast, pot roast, or beef roast, you can serve Greek salad alongside it. The freshness of the salad pairs with the rich meaty flavor very well.
- Fish: Fish goes so well with fresh vegetable salad. Serve it alongside Greek salad with vinaigrette, and you will love the combination.
- Rice: Greek salad is also a perfect side to the rice dish. It brings in a pop of color and flavor.
- Pasta: creamy pasta dishes paired with fresh Greek chicken and vegetable salad also complement each other very well.
Enjoy your Greek Chicken Salad with Vegetables and Feta Cheese
Greek chicken salad is utterly delicious, filling, and a perfect way to enjoy fresh vegetables. For those who like to eat healthily, this salad is a treat for your tastebuds. Being super easy to make, you can make it in a large batch and enjoy serving it as a main course with your friends and family. Try this amazingly simple and effortless recipe, and I am sure they will love it!
Greek Chicken Salad with Feta Cheese
- 120 g boneless chicken fillet
- 1 whole Cucumber
- 4 to 5 iceberg lettuce leaves
- Handful of arugula
- 1 medium Tomato
- ½ cup Feta cheese
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried rosemary
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- In a saucepan, add water and place it on medium heat. Once it is warm, add a boneless chicken fillet and bring it to a boil. Let it simmer until the chicken is cooked through.
- Take the chicken out of the water and cut it into cubes. Set aside for later use.
- Chop leafy vegetables like iceberg lettuce and arugula and place them in a large salad bowl.
- Cut the tomato in half, remove the seeds and finely chop it. Add it to the salad bowl.
- Next, wash and chop the cucumber and place it in the bowl.
- Cut the feta cheese into small cubes and add it to the bowl.
- Add the cubed boiled chicken as well.
- Add salt, oregano, thyme, rosemary, and black pepper powder.
- Drizzle olive oil on top and mix well so that everything is well combined.
- Serve immediately.