Everyone loves delicious snacks. It is a perfect treat for game day, movie night, or a birthday party. There are so many different snack options. However, some are better than others and are widely loved by all. One such tasteful, delicious, and super tempting snack idea is “bacon and cheese turnover pastry.” The crispy pastry filled with tasteful bacon and gooey cheese is perfect to win every heart.
The best thing about these puffs is that it is a straightforward recipe. There is nothing fancy or expensive about the ingredients. The ingredients you use are readily available at any grocery store. So, you can make it whenever and wherever. Here is a detailed breakdown of everything you need for this fantastic recipe:
Puff pastry: The most important ingredient in this dish is puff pastry. It is a flaky and super light pastry which is quite fun to eat. Although you can make a puff pastry dough from starch at home, it usually requires skill. So, if you are someone new or don’t have enough time to make one at home, the next best thing is to opt for store-bought ones.
Luckily several brands now offer premade puff pastry doughs. All you have to do is cut the seal, remove them from packaging and use them. It’s super simple and convenient. When buying puff pastry dough, make sure you choose the one ready o use and already rolled. This way, you just have to cut them into pieces and use them.
Bacon: The next best thing you will need for this recipe is bacon. You can either use smoked bacon or unsmoked. You can also choose a whole block or pre-sliced bacon. Whatever is available to you. When using bacon, cut it into thin slices or chop it roughly. I usually use smoked bacon because it is more flavourful.
Cheddar cheese: Cheddar cheese not just adds cheesiness to the puffs but also brings a distinct flavor we all love. You can use sharp, or yellow, or aged cheddar cheese. Again, it is a personal preference. You can either use slices or sliced or shredded cheese. Whatever is more convenient to you.
Egg yolk: The yolk of an egg is the perfect way to cover the top of the puffs. It adds color, makes the puffs glossy and crispy.
Sesame seeds: Lastly, you will need sesame seeds to sprinkle on top of the puffs. They have a sweet, mild, and nutty flavor plus a crunch we all love. Sesame seeds are oddly satisfying and a perfect ingredient to finish off the puffs.
How to make puff pastry with bacon and cheese?
Making puffs with bacon and cheese is super easy. All you have to do is follow these simple steps:
Step 1: Place the puff pastry on the workstation and cut it into squares. You can go for your desired size.
Step 2: Place the thinly sliced or roughly chopped bacon on each square.
Step 3: Next, place a cheese slice on top of the bacon. You can slice the cheese or shred it to adjust on the puff pastry square.
Step 4: Place another puff pastry square on top of the cheese and seal the edges by joining together by pressing thumb or fork.
Step 5: Brush egg yolk on top with the help of brush and sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Egg yolk will make the top crispy and will give the puff a beautiful golden color upon cooking.
Step 6: Place the puffs on a parchment-lined baking tray, make sure they are placed at about half an inch apart from each other.
Step 7: Place the baking tray in a preheated oven for about 15 minutes at 180-degree C.
Step 8: Once the puffs get a nice color and rise, remove the baking tray from the oven.
Step 9: Serve hot alongside your favorite dip.
Different ways of folding the puffs
There are so many different ways to fold them. The simplest one is stacking a square puff pastry on top of the filling and sealing the edges. However, you can try the following two ways. They are easy and quick as well.
- Instead of cutting the puff pastry into squares, you can cut them in rectangles. Place filling on one end and fold the other end on top like a blanket. Seal the edges.
- Another easy way to fold the puff pastry is by placing the filling diagonally. Instead of adding another pastry on top or covering the filling entirely, you can join the two adjacent corners. This way, half of the filling will be open. This method is also called the turnover method.
- You can also cut the filling in circles.
- Another way is to fill one side of the square and turn the other side on top to make a triangle. Seal the edges.
Can you store puffs with bacon and cheese?
If you have leftover cooked puffs, no problem at all! You can place them on a plate, cover them loosely with plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and store them in the refrigerator. These will stay doo for up to 2 days.
Furthermore, you can also store the uncooked puffs in the refrigerator for two days. Again, wrap them lightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate them. Once you are ready to cook them, brush egg wash on top and pop them in the oven.
Also, you can freeze the uncooked puffs as well. Place them on a parchment-lined baking tray and pop them in the freezer. Once they are frozen, you can place them in Ziplock plastic bags or containers, and they will last for up to a month. Make sure when storing uncooked puffs, don’t brush egg wash. Keep the egg wash till the last moment when you are about to bake them.
Although adding bacon and cheese to these puffs seal the deal, there is always room for improvement. You can add other ingredients to these puffs to make them more flavourful and enjoyable. Here are a few ideas you can try:
- Dijon mustard: Dijon mustard has a prominent, strong, sharp and slightly spicy, and tangy flavor. It goes so well with cheese making it a perfect ingredient to add to puffs with bacon and cheese.
- Hummus: Hummus is rich, flavorsome, and creamy. You can add a dollop of freshly made hummus to your bacon and cheese puffs. Furthermore, you can also serve it as a dip alongside the puffs. The combination works really well. The humus’s richness takes over the puffs in a delightful manner.
- Pesto: Pesto is known for its vibrant green color and delicious, refreshing flavor. You can make it fresh at home or get premade from the store. Either way, the freshness and aroma of the herbs bring out a fantastic taste. You can add pesto to the puffs or serve it alongside these. Either way, it is a tremendous ingredient to go with the puffs.
- Caramelized onions: Another amazing filing idea is to add caramelized onions. Caramelized onions are not just tasteful but bring out a unique, slightly sweet, and savory flavor. Add a tablespoon on top of the bacon, and it will bring so much flavor to the puffs. Try it, and I am sure you will love it!
- Vegetables: Caramelized onions aren’t just the only ingredient you can add to the bacon and cheese puffs. You can also add smoked bell peppers, asparagus, herb sautéed potatoes, etc., into the puffs. Create new filing ideas and enjoy!
- Cheese: Although cheddar cheese works so well with these puffs, you can also add cream cheese to make them cheesier. Furthermore, if you love mozzarella, you can also add it to bring the stringy element. In short, you can try different cheeses to see which one you love the most.
Cheese and Bacon Puff Pastry recipe
- 200 g Puff pastry sheet Ready to roll
- 6 Thin bacon strips Roughly chopped
- 6 slices Cheddar cheese
- 1 Egg yolk Beaten
- 1 tbsp Sesame seeds
- Layout the puff pastry on abaking paper or floured workstation.
- Using a sharp knife, cut itinto equal squares.
- Place the thinly sliced or roughly chopped bacon on a square. You can either choose smoked or unsmoked bacon.
- Next, place a cheese slice ontop of the bacon. You can cut the piece of cheese to adjust on the puff pastrysquare.
- Place another puff pastry square on top of the cheese and seal the edges by joining together.
- Using a brush, spread thebeaten egg yolk on top of the pastry and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Place the puffs on a parchment-lined baking tray.
- Place the baking tray in apreheated oven for about 15 minutes at 180-degree C.
- Once the puffs get a nice colorand rise, remove the baking tray from the oven.
- Serve hot alongside your favorite dip.