Breaded chicken cutlets are tasteful, crunchy from the outside, and tender and juicy from the inside. These cutlets are layered with a rich batter and topped with breadcrumbs. The breadcrumbs ensure the crunch, whereas the batter allows the chicken to stay tender and juicy without drying out.
These cutlets are a perfect snack or main course. Serve with dips or roasted vegetables; either way, they are a perfect dish you can enjoy any time of the day. The best part is it is very easy to make, and you can easily make large batches and freeze them for later use.
Components of breaded chicken cutlets
There are three main components of this tasteful dish. These are:
- Chicken: The meat we are going to use is that chicken. You can also use fish or turkey meat. But because this is the chicken recipe, we are going to use boneless chicken meat.
- Batter: The batter is jam-packed with flavors from tomato paste and spices. It is rich, smooth, and has a medium consistency. The base for this batter is wheat flour.
- Breadcrumbs: The final layer is that of breadcrumbs. This layer makes the cutlets crispy, crunchy, and tasteful.
Here is a detailed breakdown of all the ingredients you will need for this breaded chicken cutlet recipe.
- Chicken meat: The main ingredient for this delicious recipe is chicken. The best cut is that of chicken breast. However, you can use chicken thigh meat as well. The only thing you have to look for is that it should be skinless and boneless. Pound it a little, or cut it into thin slices.
- Breadcrumbs: Breadcrumbs are a perfect ingredient to make the chicken cutlets crispy. You can use plain breadcrumbs or flavored as well. Moreover, you can add dried herbs or seasonings to plain breadcrumbs to give them more flavor. You can also use panko!
- Wheat flour: Adding wheat flour to the batter creates a base for your breaded chicken cutlets. It ensures the chicken is tender and jam-packed with flavor. It also makes it crunchy.
- Tomato paste: Tomato paste is made from fresh tomatoes. It is made by reducing the water content in the tomato sauce. It has a rich, tomatoey and tangy flavor. It also adds a bring red color to the batter.
- Mayonnaise: Mayonnaise adds creaminess and flavor to the batter. You can use store-bought or homemade mayonnaise as well. Furthermore, you can also use flavored mayonnaise. Plus, light mayonnaise is also a good choice.
- Water: You can add water to adjust the consistency of the batter.
- Red chili flakes: Adding red chili flakes bring heat to the batter. You can use chili powder or paprika for this purpose as well.
- Black pepper: Black pepper also brings in a peppery flavor.
- Salt: Adding salt balances out the flavors.
- Oil: You will need oil for frying. You can use any cooking oil for the purpose.
How to make Breaded Chicken Cutlets?
You can easily make breaded chicken cutlets. The process is very simple. Here is a step-by-step guide that you have to follow to make delicious and crispy breaded chicken cutlets:
Step 1: Wash the chicken breast and pat it dry using a kitchen towel. Using a sharp knife, cut the chicken into medium-sized pieces.
Step 2: In a large bowl, add mayonnaise, tomato paste, wheat flour, red chili flakes, black pepper, salt.
Step 3: Pour water slowly and whisk until you get a smooth consistency batter.
Step 4: On a flat plate, add breadcrumbs and place the chicken, batter, and breadcrumbs in a sequence to make an assembly line.
Step 6: Take one chicken piece, dip it in the batter and then place it on the breadcrumb plate.
Step 5: In a non-stick frying pan, heat oil at medium heat. You can choose to shallow fry or deep fry the breaded chicken cutlets.
Step 7: Once the breadcrumbs are from a layer on the chicken piece, put it in hot oil. Cook on one side for about 4 minutes. Flip the chicken piece to cook on the other side for about 3 minutes.
Step 8: Once the chicken is done and the top gets a golden-brown color, remove it from the pan. Repeat these steps with the remaining chicken pieces.
Step 9: Serve hot with your favorite sauces.
Tips for making Breaded Chicken Cutlets
Breaded chicken cutlets are fairly easy to make. You have to follow simple steps. However, you still have to keep a few things in mind to ensure perfect results. Here are a few tips that will help you to get flawless and delicious results:
- Make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature. Especially the chicken. Take it out of the refrigerator and let it sit for about 20 minutes until it reaches room temperature. Suppose you are using frozen chicken. Wait for it to thaw completely, drain excess liquid and pat dry using a kitchen towel. A dry chicken piece allows the batter to stick to it well.
- Once you have crumbed the chicken piece, let it sit for a few minutes. You can place it in the refrigerator to firm up the breaded layer.
- Make sure the oil is very hot for perfect crisp and crunch.
- Make sure you don’t keep the heat too high. It will burn the breadcrumbs, and the chicken will stay raw. Always set the heat to medium.
- Don’t overcrowd the frying pan. This way, the chicken will get soggy, and they won’t cook properly.
- You can use peanut oil to fry the chicken cutlets. Peanut oil has a high smoke point.
- You can use crushed corn flakes or crushed chips instead of breadcrumbs as well.
- You can use all-purpose flour instead of wheat flour as well.
How to store Breaded Chicken Cutlets?
You can easily store breaded chicken cutlets. Place the leftover breaded chicken cutlets in an air-tight container and store them in the refrigerator. They will last for up to 3 days.
Can you make Breaded Chicken Cutlets in advance?
Yes, you can make breaded chicken cutlets in advance. You can make them in large batches a day before the party. Place them on a baking tray on a single layer and refrigerate. Take them out, let them reach room temperature before frying.
Furthermore, you can also freeze these cutlets once you have prepared and breaded them. Place them on a parchment-lined baking tray and place them in the freezer for about 3 hours. This process is called flash freezing. Take it out of the freezer, and place the frozen cutlets in a plastic zip-lock bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. When cooking, thaw it slightly and cook.
Can you cook this in an air fryer?
Yes! You can definitely cook the breaded chicken cutlets in an air fryer. In fact, it is a quick, convenient and healthy way to enjoy these cutlets. You just have to use cooking spray and air fry these. If you are using frozen breaded chicken cutlets, you don’t need to thaw them. Set the air fryer to 400-degree F and cook for about 10 to 12 minutes. Flip the cutlets halfway into the cook. Once done, you will get crispy, crunchy, and perfectly cooked breaded chicken cutlets.
What to serve with Breaded Chicken Cutlets?
Breaded chicken cutlets are versatile. You can serve them with almost everything. They are a perfect snack or lunch option. Plus, you can also incorporate them into your meal. Here are a few ways of enjoying these delicious breaded chicken cutlets:
- Salad: Serve this delicious breaded chicken cutlet over a fresh green salad. It adds a crunchy and tasteful element to the dish. Adding breaded chicken makes the salad complete.
- Alfredo pasta: Alfredo pasta is rich, creamy, and utterly delicious. You can set the base and top it up with breaded chicken cutlets.
- Roasted vegetables: Herb crushed roasted vegetables are delicious, healthy, and a perfect side to go with breaded chicken cutlets.
- Mashed potatoes: Adding creamy mashed potatoes topped with fresh herbs and dill and breaded chicken cutlets.
- Cheese sauce: the creamy, cheesy, rich sauce is a perfect treat with these cutlets. You can use it as a dipping sauce as well.
- Gravy: Turn breaded chicken cutlets into a complete meal by pairing it with mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, and rich. Smooth gravy.
- Rice: Whether it is garlic rice, jasmine rice, or any other spiced rice, you can enjoy it with breaded chicken cutlets, and enjoy.
- Dips and sauces: You can serve it with garlic mayo, ketchup, Greek yogurt dip, hummus, etc.
Enjoy your breaded chicken cutlets
These breaded chicken cutlets are a dish that will become instantly famous among both kids and adults. It is very easy to make and is the perfect comfort food that you can enjoy as a snack or main course. Try this easy recipe now, and I bet you will love it! It will become your new favorite snack food in no time.
Breaded Chicken Cutlets
- 350 g Chicken meat
- 30 g Tomato paste
- 30 g Mayonnaise
- 100 ml Water
- 30 g Wheat flour
- 45 g Breadcrumbs
- 30 ml Frying oil
- 1/3 tsp Salt
- 1/3 tsp Spices
- Wash chicken meat, remove excess liquid with napkins. Cut into medium sized pieces.
- Place a few pieces of chicken in a bowl of tomato sauce. Dip from all sides.
- Pour breadcrumbs into a plate. Dip the chicken pieces in the crumbs.
- Heat oil in a pan. Place chicken pieces in pan and heat to medium. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Turn the chicken pieces over and cook for another 3 minutes. Cover the pan with a lid.
- Serve the chicken hot. Serve fresh herbs and sauce with the meat.