Are Dried Black Limes Healthy? And How to Make It?
Black limes, also known as dried limes, and black lemons, are a staple in Persian and Arabic cuisine. Black lime is very commonly used in Iran, Iraq, Oman, northern India, and other parts of the Middle East. Historically, this ingredient was widespread in Omani cuisines, and later it became an essential ingredient in other parts of the Middle East as well.
Dried black limes not only add flavor and spice in the recipes such as soups, chutneys, flatbreads, stews, etc. but they have fantastic health benefits as well. Nutritionally, black limes are rich in vitamins, especially vitamin D and vitamin C. Moreover, they have huge concentrations of mineral and different salts such as potassium and calcium.
Are black limes healthy? Yes, dried black limes are very healthy for human health, and here are some of the health benefits black limes offers.
Black Limes Improves Heart Health
Dried black limes are very beneficial for heart health as they are rich in potassium. From a medical point of view, potassium is vital for heart muscles as it helps in regulating the flow of blood and strengthens the heart muscles. The regulation of blood flow minimizes the chances of hypertension (commonly known as high blood pressure). Thus, it saves the heart from several potential heart problems.
Black Limes Improves Human Digestive System
Black limes are a wonderful food ingredient, especially for those people who suffer from digestion issues. Black limes are a great natural source to normalize the stomach. If you are suffering from diarrhea, black limes can cure that. If you are suffering from constipation, you can use black limes to ease your stomach. Black lime is one of the best natural cleansers for the digestive system as it provides relief from gastric issues, strengthens your immune system, and improves appetite.
Excellent Detoxing Agent
Black limes are a great natural tool to remove waste, toxins, and harmful bacteria from the body. Black lime purifies and protects the intestines from any bacterial infection. It is handy for those people who are suffering from chronic constipation.
Prevents Bowel Disease
Black lime can be very useful against inflammatory bowel disease. Dried black limes are rich in vitamin C, and they work as purifiers for the intestine. If someone is suffering from inflammation (bowel disease), black lime juice can significantly reduce the effects of this disease.
Useful for Women After Childbirth
Black lime can work wonders for women after childbirth. Pregnancy can easily suck out a lot of energy and nutrients from the body. Using black lime after giving birth can compensate for “lost strength.” Black limes are rich in vitamin C, and they can strengthen the immune system. A robust immune system helps in preventing infections and other problems. Moreover, the consumption of black lime reduces the effects of fatigue and keeps a mother active and healthy.
Improves General Health
As mentioned above, black limes are rich in minerals, different vitamins, amino acids, potassium, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, iron, folic acid, etc. which help produce new cells in the body. They improve the immune system; provide resistance against the common cold, inflammation, stress, and viral infections.
The presence of calcium and vitamin D helps strengthen the teeth, muscles, and bones and prevents osteoporosis. The presence of riboflavin improves brain functioning. Apart from that, black lime works as an anti-cancer agent and antibiotic as well.
How to Make Dried Black Lime?
Making dried black lime is literally a “child’s play” as you can easily make them at home, and here is how:
- The basic ingredients you need for making dried limes include limes (8-10), half teaspoon salt, ice-cold chilled water that will be used for ice bath later.
- The first step includes heating the water until it reaches the boiling point.
- After the water is boiled, put half tea spoon salt and limes in the water for maximum of 90 seconds.
- After 90 seconds, take out the limes from the boiling water and put them in the ice-chilled water for 10 to 15 minutes.
- After the “cooling down” process, take out the limes and dry them with a tissue paper or kitchen towel.
- Then comes the dehydration process. You can use a dehydrator for dehydration, or you can dehydrate them in “burning” sunshine for 3 to 4 days or until they turn black and lightweight.
- For dehydration purposes, you can dehydrate them in an oven until they turn black. This method can be used when there is not enough sunshine to dehydrate the limes. However, to keep things “natural,” dehydrate them in the sunshine. Once they turn black, they are ready for use.
Black lime can be easily classified as a healthy and nutritious food item, and luckily, it is available throughout the year. Most importantly, they are not “costly” at all. A lot of unhealthy and junk food can create gastric and digestive issues, and they are very common due to our hectic routines. Using black lime can reduce the effects of an unhealthy lifestyle.
Sources: 1) steemit 2) omanmagazine