Whipped cream is a light, creamy topping made by whipping heavy cream with sugar and often flavouring agents. It is commonly used as a dessert topping or in other recipes and can also be found in frozen form. Whipped cream makes an excellent base for many delicious desserts due to its flavour profile and thick, velvety texture.
There are several ways to make homemade whipped cream that add extra flavour and flair to any recipe. The most common method involves combining one cup of cold heavy cream, two tablespoons of granulated sugar, and one teaspoon of vanilla extract in a bowl.
Using an electric mixer at medium speed is advised, and you should whip the mixture until stiff peaks form, usually about two minutes. You can make homemade whipped cream with flavoured extracts or other ingredients like cocoa powder, almond extract, or cinnamon.
Our best recipes using whipped cream
Here are some fantastic recipes using whipped cream that you should try:
- Chocolate Mousse Cake: This decadent dessert is made with layers of chocolate cake, chocolate mousse, and rich whipped cream. Add a dollop of homemade caramel sauce to make it even more indulgent.
- Strawberry Shortcake: Fluffy sponge cake topped with strawberries and lusciously sweet whipped cream is an all-time classic summer dessert. For extra flavour, drizzle strawberry syrup over the finished product.
- Blueberry Cheesecake: To create a delicious treat, a creamy blueberry cheesecake base is topped with whipped cream. Serve it with macerated berries for an extra flavour boost.
- Pumpkin Spice Latte: This warming beverage takes your favourite coffee shop drink to the next level: blend espresso, pumpkin puree, spices and heavy cream for a frothy topping. Add a big spoon of whipped cream for a finishing touch.
- Banana Split Pancakes: Transform classic banana split desserts into breakfast treats by making mini pancakes filled with ripe bananas and topping them off with fluffy, sweetened whipped cream and chopped nuts.
- Berry Parfait Jar Cake: Create a layer sponge cake by adding cream cheese, berry filling and whipped cream in a tall glass jar for a stunning parfait cake. Top off the dessert with fresh berries and a drizzle of chocolate sauce.
- No-Bake Chocolate Pie: Indulge in this delicious no-bake pie without all the fuss. The combination of melted chocolate chips, marshmallow creme, vanilla extract and heavy whipping cream creates an unbelievably creamy texture that will satisfy any sweet tooth.
The best-whipped cream for your coffee and desserts
Many types of whipped creams are available on the market, but not all are created equal. Some are better suited for coffee drinks, while others are perfect for desserts and sweet treats. Here are some of the best-whipped cream options available:
Whipped cream from a can
Whipped cream from a can is an excellent choice for coffee drinks as it is thick and creamy, with a strong vanilla flavour. It stays stable when heated, so it won’t melt or lose shape when added to hot drinks.
Whipped cream from a can is often a good option for dessert recipes. The cream is light and fluffy, with a subtle sweetness that pairs well with sweet treats like pie or cake. It also holds its shape well when piped or dolloped onto desserts.
However, try Nang Heavenly Cream if you want an even more decadent and indulgent whipped cream for your desserts, and opt for a nang delivery service. This premium product is made with fresh double cream and has a luxuriously rich texture that will take your desserts to the next level.
How to store your whipped cream
Whipped cream will last for up to two weeks in the refrigerator. To store it correctly, ensure the container is airtight and keep it away from strong-smelling foods that could affect the flavour of the cream.
When you’re ready to use your whipped cream, please give it a good stir before adding it to your recipes, which will help bring back its creamy texture and ensure an even distribution of flavour throughout your dish.
Using whipped cream in savoury dishes
Whipped cream isn’t just for sweet recipes. This versatile ingredient can make savoury dishes like creamy soups and sauces. Add whipped cream to your favourite potato soup recipe for a light but a flavourful option. The extra creaminess will take the dish to new heights of deliciousness.
Using whipped cream in cocktails
Adding a dollop of whipped cream to a cocktail is an easy way to elevate its flavour profile. Try topping off your favourite martini or cosmopolitan with a fluffy cloud of sweetened whipped cream for added decadence.
The bottom line
Whipped cream is an incredibly versatile and delicious ingredient that can be used to make various sweet and savoury recipes. From classic desserts like banana split pancakes and parfait cakes to indulgent cocktails, this simple yet flavourful ingredient will take any dish up a notch. With its many uses, it’s no wonder why whipped cream is such a popular ingredient.